About Me

My photo
The objective of the Virtual Coffee Blog, is to create a discussion platform where we can explore marketing 2.0 and share our experiences

Monday, December 20, 2010

Marketing 2.0 or Inception?

The theme for Marketing 2.0 in 2011 should be, "Inception"

As we find ourselves full speed ahead in Marketing 2.0, buying processes are changing.  Decision makers are doing more of the leg work themselves and there is less use of the vendor's expertise. As one white paper stated, we are experiencing a "continuing and irreversible shift in information power from the vendor to the consumer.” 

These are the suggested remedies from the article, for the perceived shift in power:
1. Recognize Your Ideal Customers
2. Identify Key Catalysts for Change
3. Learn How to Navigate the BuyerSphere
4. Sell the Way Your Prospects Want to Buy
5. Make a Compelling Case for Change

My question is, why not simply go to the source of the ideas? Their inception.

Our marketing initiatives need to be well thought out, multi level, multi dimensional plans, that ultimately will suggest our solution in the same place a solution is being sought.

We do this through several steps:
1. Establish Credibility
-Twitter, LinkedIn
2. Create Content
-Blogs, White Papers, You Tube
3. Listen and Participate
-Create a Listening Station, Join Groups
4. Advertise
-Search Engine Optimization, Pay Per Click advertising (A great place to start Google Adwords For Dummies)

The decision maker of today is doing her own research, and engaging in the buying process far later than ever before. We have the opportunity to make our ideas her own, at the point of inception.

@aaronmandelbaum

4 comments:

  1. Great post, thanks. You had me all the way to the last sentence.

    The rules of marketing (and sales) are changing faster than most traditional companies can keep up. As a brand owner, I use social media to listen to the conversations happening about my brand. But, I also use it to listen to, or to observe changing trends.

    (I'm a Foodservice beverage company, so I'm not trying to land a consulting gig or sell an ebook. I just want to figure out new flavor/drink trends.)

    When you closed with, "We have the opportunity to make our ideas her own...", I had to disagree. As marketers, what we have is an opportunity to make others ideas our own. If we listen, and ask the right questions, people will tell us how we should pitch our products and ideas to them. They will show us what is required to engage them in a conversation. They will even help us develop our next flavor, book, instructional course, etc., by telling us what problems they need solved.

    I really enjoy your content, and look forward to reading more from you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ray, great insight. You make a very valid point. Although I am not completely convinced yet that, "they will show us what is required to engage them in conversation." I do believe that listening is key. At some point we are going to have to take that listening, form it into an idea of our own, throw it against the wall, and see if it sticks. Thanks for the post. Keep 'em coming.
    @aaronmandelbaum

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aaron, great blog! I have been inspired to start a blog for my myself. Through the blog I plan to add value to my referral relationships with dentists and to increase credibility and empower potential periodontics and dental implant patients.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Craig, thats great to hear. Let me know if there is anything I can help you with.
    @aaronmandelbaum

    ReplyDelete